29.10.08

ipod was good purchase

I have come to realize that the purchase of my ipod, pretty much the day before I left, was one of the best decisions of my life. Seriously. It has kept me company while all by my lonesome; whether it was on a bus, ferry or train, or at a stranger's home, walking in a new city, or driving throughout undiscovered terrain, my ipod has been a constant presence. And a positive one. My music reminds me of so many people that I love. So, if I miss someone, I can just play a song that reminds me of them, and it is like they are there with me. So here are some of your songs:

Wannabe- Cristina Emigh. She will always be the missing Spice Girl to me: Cougar Spice.

Down at the River to Pray- Rebekah O'Brien. She went through a stage of always playing this in my car.

At Last- Ruby Soho. For our 4 years as roommates, almost on a daily basis, I would serenade her with this classic tune, but no where near as magical as Ms. James.

Don't Stop Believin'- Mollies. I wish I had the Newsies soundtrack because that would do the trick as well.

Anything by Bruce Springsteen: My mom. Everytime I would play "Name that Tune" with her (with whatever was on the car radio), she would always guess Bruce Springsteen. Even if it was a female singer. EXCEPT for when it actually WAS the Boss, and she guessed Nirvana. Oh Mom.

Don't Stop Me Now- Austin Benedict and that crazy leg of his.

Crazy (Gnarls)- Nina. Too many times would we be cruisin Siloam with this tune blaring. We were so gansta.

Queen/Mr. Taylor/Bobby Darin- The Pops. Some of his favorites are mine as well. What can I say? Great music never fades.

Holiday for Real- Master Shaff.

Moulin Rouge Soundtrack- Laurel/Kunta/Jill. On countless occasions, I have belted many a song from this album with these people. Goodtimes.

Dirt off Your Shoulder- Jill, you get this one too. And Boy. Actually, there are a few from that road trip that do the trick.

There are many more songs that remind me of lots of you, and I will post more throughout my year here.

* * *

I have a job. My kiwi family in Dunedin told me about it. They work for the branch there, and they told me that the Wellington/Hutt area is in desperate need for people. I looked into it, applied, was interviewed and basically started a few days later (after a visit to where I would be working and receiving references and a police check).

I work for a company called IDEA Services. Basically, I work with people with intellectual (and some physical) disabilities in their homes. My position is called a Community Support Worker. The role of IDEA and CSWs to provide support to service users in their homes, whatever that support may look like. The home that I am going to be working at is a really special house. The main house is home to 5 different service users, and 4 of them are very high needs. 2 use wheelchairs and they all have a wide range of different medical problems and intellectual disabilities. While 1, Maria, is very independent. Then, there are 4 flats in front of the house that house 7 independent service users. I have met three of them, and they are all very nice and love to laugh. Even though I have only spent about 10 hours in the house, I know that I am going to love this job. The people I work with are great, but whats even better, is that the service users are amazing. Now, I know that its going to be very challenging, but I look forward to it. I am ready to be stretched. I have had some experience with children with disabilities, but never adults (and that is who IDEA Services works with). Last night, my first official day, went really well. I am shadowing the main CSW at the house, while doing on-site training. There were some things I was a bit nervous about, but once I did them, no problems. Now, I know it won't always be like this, but it was nice to have a first day that went smoothly, and left feeling, "You know, I think I could do this."

And I think IDEA really likes me. Yesterday, I went to the main office to fill out paperwork, and the lady who hired me, already offered to support me in getting a Work Visa so I could stay longer. And mind you, I hadn't even worked a shift yet. I guess they really ARE desperate!

Still looking for a place to live. I have a few options, but they arent very good. They are with kids 5 years younger than me, in dingy flats, in not nice areas. OR, they are too expensive. But, I am not worried. Something will come along that is right for me. And hopefully soon. I have been staying with this family for a week now, and I don't want to overstay my welcome (they were the family I stayed with when I first visited Welly. Really, really nice).

I found a church. Andrew, the dad of the family I am staying with (the Bollens), is the associate pastor at a church in Karori (a suburb of Wellington). I visited this past weekend, and liked it. I am going to help out with the Halloween party tomorrow (yes, tomorrow. Remember, I am in the future). So, maybe I will make some friends, and not just hangout with my ipod anymore.

love from nz,
julie

6 comments:

Nicole (carried a paint can) said...

Very glad to hear you have found work that challenges you in a good way. Remember, a great way to make friends is to hand out righteous fives.
Charlotte & Ruby would say "hi" if they could speak. =)

Anonymous said...

Aw, Jewels I'm so proud of you! Now I feel like my life is so unexciting. :\ Isn't it odd that me, you and Mariam work with the community? Granted all in different aspects but still helping the our local communities. As for looking for a house, well its the same here for us. Its either living in an house apartment with six kids or getting an expensive house with too many rooms or surrounded by old people. *sigh* But don't give up hope! You'll find a place!

Unknown said...

jules,
how did i not know you had a blog? maybe because i was ignorant of the blogging community before i created my own, but yea!! now i can keep up with your life.

thank you for the prayers! that is so sweet that you are thinking of us. we are praying for you, too! i told james the other day that you are much more brave and confident than me--i could never go to a country all by myself without an exact plan of what i am doing. wow, you are awesome!

how long are you thinking of staying over there? indefinitely? our baby is due on april fools day, and we're moving into a house with two extra bedrooms and a nice pool during the summertime! :) you are always welcome to stay with us if you visit arkansas.

love ya lots!!

Unknown said...

Hey Julie! Hooray for your job! I agree with Silvy on the "going to a new country and winging it". I am a bit envious of that free feeling, though! I'm glad your first day went well!

Unknown said...

and this is actually jenny t. I didn't realize Paul had signed into his blog on my laptop! oops!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It is so good to hear how God is working and providing for you and your mom to visit! Awesome! I miss you! Your job sounds amazing. I hope that you like it, I can see you being really good at it. I hope that you like and that it is a good fit! I have been thinking about you a lot and I am sad I won't get to see when we go home at Christmas. I can't believe your soooo far away, I hope that you are loving it. Any idea if you will come back or stay there for school? Just wondering if I get to see you next Christmas. Well when can we have a skype date? Do you have regular access to internet? Well I want you to know that I love you and miss you. Is this the best way to contact you? Also I saw all the songs that reminded you of people (such a sweet comfort huh) and it made me think of a a song that reminds of you. Whenever I hear Fastcar I always think of you! Love you Jewels!